Postponed Admitted Procedures
The Postponed Admitted Procedures database includes information on reason for cancelled admitted procedures opened up a door for investigating service demand/restructure. The dataset covers elective inpatient and day case activity, however there are several exclusion criteria:
- LHBs are required to submit data for elective inpatient and day case activity only via the submission of the postponed intended admission.
- Cancelled Regular Day / Night Attendance procedures are excluded.
- Maternity activity (i.e. Admission Method ‘31’ and ‘32’) is excluded.
- Inpatient and day case patients who are admitted and discharged without having their elective procedure undertaken are included.
- Those procedures that are brought forward are excluded.
- Procedures that are postponed one or more times during the same admitted stay but are subsequently performed during that admitted stay are excluded.
- Procedures that are postponed one or more times during the same admitted stay and not performed during that stay should be reported as one postponement.
- Procedures that are postponed twice for the same intended admission date should be counted as one postponement.
- Procedures that are postponed but are subsequently rescheduled and performed during the same admitted stay are excluded.
- Patients whose procedures were scheduled to take place outside Wales are excluded.
- Local Health Boards are required to submit data on Welsh residents whose procedures are intended to take place in their Local Health Board. For example, if a patient is on a waiting list in Cardiff University Health Board but are sent to Cwm Taf to have their procedure (waiting list initiative). Cwm Taf schedule the intended admission date and subsequently postpone the procedure, the postponement should be submitted by Cwm Taf.
- Velindre NHS Trust are excluded.
Approx. 80,000 records per year
2013 to May 2016